So I was coming back from the supermarket today and passed
by the Serbian fruit and veg market, which sets up shop on our street each
Tuesday and Thursday. It is mostly made
up of people from the surrounding Serbian enclaves selling bits and pieces from
their gardens. One guy might be selling
6 pumpkins, while another is selling garlic cloves from a bucket.
A snaggle-toothed lady selling fruit caught my eye – because
the fruit looked like blueberries. I
ventured closer and yep! They were
blueberries alright. A massive bucket of
them!
Yippeeee!! I
thought. Because I really love them.
I whipped out the bit of Serbo-Croat I knew (hi, how are
you?) and asked how much for 1 kilo. 5
euros, she told me. Bargain! I thought!
And gave her a nod to go ahead and fill the plastic bag.
As the berries tumbled into the bag I was happily planning
what I would do with my massive horde.
I’d eat handfuls of them fresh, then I might freeze a few to snack on
later. I could make a blueberry and
apple pie, blueberry jam…
I handed her the 5 euros and she looked at me with
confusion. I showed her 5 fingers. “Five?”
I confirmed, hoping she’d remember the deal I thought we’d agreed upon 2
minutes ago. So she smiled and started
tipping more berries into the bag. “No
no! Not 5 kilos, 5 euros!” I said, in English, of course, with no hope
of her understanding what the hell I was saying. By this stage we had about 6 vendors
interested in what was going on.
Collectively they figured out that I was happy with 1 kilo, and that I
just wanted to pay. So she started
rummaging around in her coin bag for change.
Which was strange, because I thought I’d given her the right
amount. There was a lot of discussion
about how much change she should give me and she finally handed me 2 euros, and
started digging around for more. “That’s
dobro!” I said “3 euros for one kilo is
dobro” (dobro meaning good, and the only word I could remember at that
point). “Dobro, dobro!” I said to emphasise the point. We were all happy. I had a kilo of blueberries for around $4 and
she had more money than she expected to get for her wares.
I gleefully took my bag of blueberries home gave a
few a good rinse and popped them in my mouth.
But oh the vileness! Oh
the horror! They were bitter and made my
mouth pucker. And they had a pit in them. I spat them out in the sink in disgust.
But what were they?
And more importantly, were they safe to eat??
So I began googling.
And I googled every blueberry look alike there was. I learned what a huckleberry, crowberry,
bilberry and hackberry was. My fruit was
none of these. For a bit I thought it
was a choke berry, then a choke cherry then a bird cherry, but finally decided
it wasn’t any of these. Then I came
across an article about belladonna berries, which look like blueberries, and
how a woman ate six of them and died.
And I started to freak out.
So I took some photos of the berries and frantically emailed
them off to Romain so he could ask his colleagues to identify them for me.
These are the photos I took.
See how much they look like blueberries!
While I waited for a response, I monitored my vital signs.
He came back a few minutes later saying that his colleagues
did know what they were – they were called kolonja in Albanian and good for
diabetes. But I couldn’t find anything
on the internet that matched up. So I
was still a bit stressed.
Then about 10 minutes later another email came through with
this link:
And I had found
my berry.
Why, it was a
sloe berry, of course!
I’ve never heard
of it, and that’s because they are apparently quite rare, or at least rarely
cultivated and sold commercially because they taste gross.
Apparently the
done thing with sloe berries (which aren’t a berry but a drupe, which I learned
all about during my googling adventure) is to make sloe gin! In fact it seems to be the only thing worth
doing with these nasty little things.
So I have found
a recipe – devised by these two likely lads:
http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/sloe-gin
And tomorrow I
am off to the store to by some glass jars a bag of sugar and some gin, so that
in 6 months time, when I can drink again, I might enjoy a cheeky little sloe gin fizz.
“The Brits have been making sloe
gin for hundreds of years by infusing the berries in high-proof gin, along with
a little bit of sugar. The result is a liqueur that's tart, but with a
delicious richness and depth of flavor.
Sloe gin was traditionally drunk in the
depths of winter, as a warming drink, until the Americans got a hold of it and
summer-ified it with citrus and soda water. Thus was born the Sloe Gin Fizz,
arguably the most famous sloe gin cocktail out there”





No comments:
Post a Comment